Switzerland 2026

Swiss Hiking Trips as Practice for the Nepal Adventure

  To prepare for my upcoming journey to Nepal in November 2026, I spent much time of this year exploring the breathtaking mountains of Switzerland. These trips served a dual purpose: they allowed me to tackle challenging hikes with significant elevation gain while gradually getting my body accustomed to the thinner mountain air - an invaluable step in preparing for the Himalayas. But these weekends became so much more than just training. Time and again, I packed my backpack, left everyday life behind, and escaped into the stunning Swiss Alps. Surrounded by towering peaks, crystal-clear lakes, and endless mountain trails, I found a sense of freedom and peace that is hard to put into words. Every adventure brought something new, whether it was conquering a demanding summit, pitching my tent beneath a sky full of stars, or waking up to the first rays of sunlight illuminating the mountains. These moments reminded me why I love being outdoors. Hiking for hours, camping in remote places, and embracing the simplicity of life in nature gave me a renwed sense of energy and perspective. Looking back, these mountain escapes weren't only the perfect physical preparation for Nepal, but also an incredible mental reset. They strengthened my endurance, fueled my excitement for the adventure ahead, and deepend my appreciation for the beauty of the narual world. If Nepal is the highlight waiting on the horizon, then Switzerland has been the perfect prologue to the journey.

  The Wednesday before Corpus Christi marked the beginning of a little escape to the heart of the Swiss Alps. Leaving Freiburg behind, I made my way to the charming mountain village of Engelberg, eager to spend the next few days surrounded by breathtaking scenery and peaceful alpine landscapes. After checking into my hotel, I couldn't resist heading straight out to explore the area. My first destination was Eugenisee, a picturesque lake located in the lower part of Engelberg. Although the lake is artificially regulated to generate hydroelectric power, it blends so naturally into its surrounding that it feels like an untouched alpine gem. The lake is also well-known among anglers as a paradise for brown and rainbow trout. From the lakeshore, I followed a small side trail that marks the beginning of the hike towards Trübsee. The path quickly led me away from the village and into the peaceful Swiss countryside. Along the way, I passed a flock of curious sheep and watched a herd of cows leisurely crossing the meadow in front of me, their bells echoing softly through the valley. Towering mountain peaks framed every view, creating a breathtaking scenery. A moment later, I discovered a small chapel overlooking Engelberg. It was one of those quiet places that invites to simply stop for a while. I set there for several minutes, taking in the spectacular panorama of the village nestled among the mountains, enjoying the silence that only the Alps seem able to offer. On my way back, I paused once more at the shores of Eugenisee to watch the sun slowly disappear behind Mount Titlis. As the last golden rays illuminated the surrounding peaks, the entire valley was bathed in warm evening light - a perfect ending for my first day in Engelberg before returning to the hotel.

  The following day, Johanna joined me for the rest of the long weekend. While I spent the morning exploring Mount Titlis, we dedicated the afternoon to discover another natural highlight of the region: the beautiful Aaschlucht. An old stone bridge marks the entrance to this romantic gorge at the far end of Eugenisee. From here, the Engelberg Aa crashes dramatically through enormous boulders as it carves its way down the valley, creating a spectacular display of the raw power of nature. The stone bridge is only the first of many crossings along the trail. As we continued our walk, we repeatedly crossed the rushing river over stone, steel and metal bridges, alternating from one side of the gorge to the other while following the winding course of the water. Every bend revealed a new perspective, with moss-covered rocks, crystal-clear water and lush greenery surrounding us. Rain showers had been forecast for later that afternoon, so instead of completing the entire trail to Grafenort, we decided to turn around after reaching a picturesque picnic and fire pit beside the river. Even though we shortened our hike, it was a wonderfully peaceful walk thorugh one of Engelberg's most idyllic landscapes. Besides the hikes and mountain adventures, another memorable highlight of the weekend was The Tea Room, a delightful little tea house that quickly became one of our favourite places inside Engelberg. We treated ourselves to a traditional afternoon tea with freshly baked scones and several delicious light meals, providing the perfect opportunity to slow down after our days outdoors. What impressed me the most, however, was the extraordinary selection of teas. One variety stood out in particular: the Chinese Lapsang Souchong. Traditionally dried over the wood of resin-rich pine or spruce, the tea develops an unmistakable smoky aroma with subtle notes reminiscent of whisky - a truly fascinating flavour unlike anything I hade tasted before while drinking tea. Looking back, one quote by the tea master T'ein Yiheng has stayed with me ever since: We drink tea to forget the noise of the world! That sentiment perfectly captured our time in Engelberg. It wasn't just the tea that allowed us to leave everyday life behind - it was the mountains, the quiet trails, the rushing rivers, the unforgettable sunsets, and the peaceful atmosphere that made this long weekend feel like a true retreat from the world.          

  Before Johanna arrived in Engelberg, I set off early on Thursday morning for one of the highlights of my Swiss adventures: Mount Titlis, a magnificent 3,238 metres peak in the Uri Alps overlooking the charming mountain village of Engelberg. Even the journey to the summit was an unforgettable experience. First, I boarded the TITLIS Xpress gondola, which gently carried me above lush alpine meadows to the middle station at Trübsee. From there, I continued on the TITLIS Rotair, the world's first rotating cable car. As the cabin slowly completed a full 360-degree rotation during the ascent, spectacular panoramic views unfolded in every direction. After roughly 30 minutes from the starting point in Engelberg, I stepped out at the summit and was instandly left speechless. Everywhere I looked, snow-covered peaks, glaciers, and dramatic alpine landscapes stretched as fas as my eyes could see. There was plenty to explore at the top, and my first stop was the TITLIS Cliff Walk, Europe's highest suspension bridge. Considering my fear of heights, crossing the bridge was quite a challenge. I tried my best to appreciate the scenery while making my way across, but in all honestly, I only fully enjoyed the breathtaking views once I had reached the other side. It was an exhilarating experience that rewarded me with incredible perspectives of the majestic mountain scenery. Still, the thought of having to cross the bridge again wasn't exactly comforting. Fortunately, the return felt much easier, and this time I even managed to pause for a few moments to admire the incredible panorama from the middle of the swaying bridge.

  My next adventure took me aboard the Ice Flyer, an open chairlift gliding silently over the glacier. Floating high above endless snowfields while looking straight down into the brilliant turquoise crevasses carved deep into the eternal ice was both fascinating and slightly surreal. It felt as if I was suspended between two completely different worlds. At the Glacier Park, it was time for something a little more playful: snow tubing. I grabbed one of the large inflatable tubes, dragged it up the snowy slope, and then raced back down, smiling the entire way. It was pure fun and easily brought out my inner child. After climbing back up the hill for a second run, however, I started to notice the effects of the altitude. The thinner mountain air made every step noticeable harder, so after one final ride, I decided it was time to head back towards the summit station. Before leaving, I made one last stop at the fascinating Glacier Cave. Walking through the shimmering blue tunnels carved into the ancient ice felt like entering another wolrd and was the perfect finale to my visit on Mount Titlis. Eventually, I took the TITLIS Rotair back down to the middle station at Trübsee. Since I still had some time before meeting Johanna, I decided to squeeze in a short hike. The turquoise water of Lake Trübsee looked absolutely stunning as I began walking towards Jochpass. However, it quickly became apparent that several large snowfields still covered parts of the trail. Hiking alone, I didn't feel comfortable crossing them, so I made the sensible decision to turn around rather than take unneccessary risks. Instead, I wandered back towards Engstlenalp, where I rewarded myself with a refreshing bottle of Rivella at the cozy Alpstübli while soaking in the peaceful alpine atmosphere. By then, Johanna had arrived in Engelberg, so I caught the TITLIS Xpress back down to the valley and skipped the two-hour hike back down. After an unforgettable morning high above the glaciers, I was more than happy to trade hiking boots for good company.    

  At first, we planned to spend Friday out on the trails together. However, Johanna wasn't feeling very well that day, and with the weather refusing to cooperate, we decided to turn back after only a short while. Instead of focusing our plans, we embraced the slower pace and spent the day in Engelberg, warming up over cups of tea before ending the day with a cozy board game afternoon. Looking back, it turned out to be the perfect decision. Thankfully, Johanna felt much better by Saturday, which meant we could finally set off on the hike we had been looking forward to: the spectacular Walenpfad Trail. We took the train and bus to Oberrickenbach valley station, where our unforgettable adventure began. The Walenpfad is considered one of Switzerland's most beautiful high-altitude hiking trails, and it certainly lived up to its reputation. This incredibly diverse day hike took us high above the Engelberg Valley, leading us from the Bannalp area to Brunni while treating us to breathtaking panoramic views almost every step of the way. The scenery constantly changed, making the hike feel like a journey through several different landscapes in a single day. We admired sweeping views over the surrounding valleys and glaciers, crossed lingering snowfields, wandered through peaceful herds of grazing cows, and passed vibrant alpine meadows bursting with colourful wildflowers in full bloom. Around every corner, another postcard-perfect view awaited us. In hindsight, it was actually a blessing that we hadn't attempted the hike the day before. Rain and fog would have hidden much of the incredible scenery, and crossing the snowfields would have been considerably more challenging. One snowfield, in particular, stretched directly across the narrow Walenpfad, dropping steeply into the valley below - a section that definitely got our adrenaline pumping. Later on, another enormous wall of snow completely blocked the trail, leaving us with no choice but to carefully squeeze and climb through the narrow gap between the snowbank and a small cascading waterfall. It was one of those unexpected moments that made the adventure even more memorable. All in all, it was an amazing day filled with unforgettable experiences. I was especially grateful that Johanna was with me, because with my fear of heights, I'm honestly not sure if I would have had the courage to tackle some of those exposed sections on my own. Every challenging stretch was rewarded with another breathtaking view, making every single step worthwile. By the time, we reached the end of the trail, we had enjoyed the hike so much that missing our bus by just five minutes didn't even bother us. Instead, we simply accepted the extra hour of waiting before heading back, giving us time to relax and reflect on the day. After such a long and demanding hike, I could definitely feel the kilometres in my legs - and especially in my knees - but it was worth every ache. It was simply one of those perfect alpine days: peaceful, adventurous, and unbelievable beautiful. Sadly, the weekend in Engelberg flew by far too quickly, and before we knew it, we were already sitting on the train the following morning, making our way back to Freiburg with countless wonderful memories and a strong desire to return to Switzerland soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia 2025

Finland 2025/26

Netherlands 2025